UK and EU student tuition fees and maintenance loans – eligibility and amounts

UK and EU student tuition fees and maintenance loans – eligibility and amounts

If you’re a UK or EU student and your course includes a placement year – studying abroad or working, either abroad or in the UK – your funding will change for the year.

If you’re an international student and your course at Leeds includes a placement year, check your tuition fees with the Fees team.

Entitlement UK Students

landmark credit union personal loans

You’re entitled to receive both your Tuition Fee Loan and your Maintenance Loan during the year you spend on placement.

See our information on applying for your student loan for guidance on how to complete the loan application when on a placement year.

Entitlement EU Students

You’re entitled to receive your Tuition Fee Loan for the year you spend on placement. Apply for your student loan from Student Finance England (SFE). If you have transferred onto a new course to include your placement year (i.epleted a Change of Programme form with your school), you will need to complete your loan application with the new course title and new graduation date.

Tuition fees

personal loans grants

All UK and EU students on a year study abroad, work placement, or British Council language assistantship (BCLA) will pay a reduced tuition fee. You can find more information on our undergraduate fees page.

If you’re only going on placement for one term, your tuition fee will be the same as if you completed the full year at Leeds.

There’s no tuition fee to pay to the host university, although there may be some other fees and charges (e.g. insurance, student union membership, sports membership, travel passes). Some of these will be optional, some mandatory. The Study Abroad Office website has further information about fees and charges.

Maintenance loan

The amount of maintenance you’re eligible for depends on your individual situation, i.e. where you’ll be living and what you’re doing, including if you’re:

  • studying abroad or on a work placement;
  • part of the Erasmus+ programme (depends on continuation after );
  • on a ‘special case’ work placement – see below.

This links to the SFE published funding levels for . Funding information was last updated by SFE in , and SFE have not published funding levels for , or . The figures can be taken as a guide to funding levels for following years.

There’s two categories of maintenance loan for students on a placement year – Full Funding and Reduced Funding. Students eligible for full funding can choose to be income assessed or non-income assessed. Students eligible for reduced funding receive a significantly lower level of funding and cannot be income assessed (i.e. the funding does not take account of household income).

  • Students on study abroad, Erasmus+ work placement (paid or unpaid), or special case work placement are eligible for Full Funding.
  • Students on a work placement that’s not under the Erasmus+ programme, or isn’t a special case, are only eligible for Reduced Funding. This is regardless of whether the placement is paid or not. These students should be aware that their funding for the placement year will be significantly less than they would expect to receive in a standard year.

Students on study abroad, an Erasmus+ work placement, or special case work placement, should refer to the SFE tables Students who chose not to have their household income considered (if they don’t provide household income information) or Students who chose to have their household income considered (if they do provide household income information). These are the tables for Full Funding.

Students on a work placement that is not Erasmus+ or not a special case should refer to the SFE table Sandwich years. This is the table for Reduced Funding.

About Author